If you think about food commercials geared towards kids, what are some things that come to mind? Have you ever seen a commercial for carrot sticks or apples? Peanut butter on celery? Doubtful. That’s because food companies make a lot of money selling very cheap, processed, and sugary foods to you – the kids. They make unhealthy food seem so cool that you can’t IMAGINE not getting it!
Most of the food and drinks marketed to children are extremely high in fat, sugar or salt and have no nutritional value. In other words, they will make you overweight, tired, and sick.
• Companies do a lot of research to figure out how they can trick kids into buying their food product.
• Food companies do not care about children’s health most of the time.
• Food companies spend billions of dollars to make sure that you buy their food.
• Companies know how to make junk food look popular by including trendy sports, haircuts, and clothes in their commercials.
• Food companies do not care about you!
Next time you see a food commercial, pay very close attention to how you feel. Does it make you want to buy the product? Do you think the product is cool? Even just paying attention to how food companies are advertising to you is a step in the right direction. It is very easy to be brainwashed by marketing tactics. Stay strong, and pay attention! Don’t let the big companies win by turning you into another unhealthy food zombie!